Monday, February 28, 2011

February Recap.

Ten workouts – three ballistic, five grinds, and two variety. That’s an average of one workout every 2.8 days. Well that’s consistent anyway. Checking off the calendar I see one lengthy gap. Timed work sets totaled 193 minutes – just shy of 3 and one third hours. Less than last month, but remember that’s ‘timed’ work sets. I experimented with pyramids this month and didn’t time everything. The total weight lifted was 76,438 pounds. A lot less than last month. It’s easy to see that I only swung the beast once in February and with only three ballistic workouts in February I missed a lot of swing volume. I really didn’t feel like I was dialing it in during February. Maybe it was the weather, maybe it was work, maybe because I’m primarily focusing on squat technique – whatever, I didn’t really feel like I made much progress. Certainly a huge weakness with February’s practice time was the number of workouts, especially the ballistics. With only three ballistic workouts in February I’m not boosting my conditioning they way I should. Something to be conscious of during March.

I recorded 16 personal records in 10 work rounds:

Goblet Squat – 2(Volume PR), 2(Rep PR), 1(Volume Density PR)
Clean and Press – 1(VPR), 3 (RD PR), 3(VD PR)
Double Clean and Press – 2(V PR), 1 (VD PR)
Long Cycle Clean and Jerk – 1(V PR)

Types of PR’s I’m keeping track of:

Volume = total weight lifted per lift or overall
Volume Density = total weight lifted per minute
Reps = number of lifts with a given weight
Rep Density = number of lifts per minute

PR elements others keep track of are volume, intensity, density, and fatigue index. Intensity and fatigue index rely on knowing your 1 rep max. Although not impossible I think it’s impractical to track intensity and fatigue index with my kettlebell work. I do think that tracking overall reps (for endurance) and rep density (how much I really own a bell or a lift) are valuable for me. If I want to ‘turn it up a notch’ I can plan accordingly. But that’s just what works for me.

No comments: