Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Coming Clean.

The Scoundrel program 1* is actually, or rather one component is loosely, based on the book Eat, Stop, Eat.

I have for a long time now believed that there are health benefits associated with fasting; giving the body a break so to speak. The Eat, Stop, Eat program is a two times a week 24 hour fast. I like this philosophy because of the health benefits, but also because it’s easier than planning meals and percentages and weights. Granted it doesn’t really give me license to eat a pizza and several beers every other night. Let’s use some common sense here. But it is an easy and effective way to manage my weekly ‘caloric budget’. The biggest challenge to a fasting program though is to not over eat after breaking the fast. For instance, Monday was a fast day. The meal I had to break the fast was supper at 8:00: squash, nuked potato with cottage cheese, and steak. The steak would definitely be bigger than a fist full. I probably would have been fine there, but then I had two pudding cups, a yogurt, luckily no ice cream in the house, two cheese sticks, and a bowl of popcorn (shared with the dog because I value my life), and three glasses of whole milk. Hey, I’m a voracious eater. That’s what got me into this mess. Also, this was after an abbreviated workout which always makes me hungry. Over all not a great way to spend my ‘caloric budget’. I may have wound up with an overall net loss, but I probably could have done better if I practiced some greater self control.

Today is also a fast day. We’ll see if I can’t do better.

No comments: